Mini-Lab: ASCII Representation of Characters
Reference: Binary to Hexadecimal Conversion Table
ASCII to Binary, Part I
Using the ASCII conversion
chart (see handout) and the Binary/Hexadecimal table above,
answer the following questions.
- What is the hexadecimal representation for the string "Hello"?
- What is the binary representation for the string "Hello"?
Binary to ASCII, Part I
Consider the following binary code:
01000011 01001111 01001101 01010000 00100000
00110001 00110000 00110111 00100001
- Express the binary code above in hexadecimal (all on one line).
- If these numbers represent an ASCII string, what string do they
- If they represent an array of 9 numbers, what
are the numbers in the array in decimal notation? (Note:
= 43 (hexadecimal)
= (4 x 16) + 3 = 64 + 3 = 67
ASCII to Binary, Part II
You are going to think up a word or short phrase in English, encode
it in binary, and give it to someone else to decode. Your word or phrase
should consist of at least six letters; don't make it too long, both for
your sake and for the sake of the person who will decode it. Make sure
that it is appropriate to give to anyone else in the class to decode.
- Write down your word or phrase in English (on this page).
- Express your word or phrase in hexadecimal.
(Question: if you chose to represent a phrase, how do
you represent the spaces between words?)
- Express your word or phrase in binary.
- Copy the binary representation of your word or phrase to another,
blank sheet of paper. Make sure to leave spaces between each octet (i.e.,
leave a space after every eighth binary digit), as was done above.
Put your name somewhere on the paper as well.
- Give the paper containing the binary representation of your
word or phrase to another student in the class, following the
instructor's instructions. (Don't forget to make sure your name is
on the paper.)
Binary to ASCII, Part II
- What is the name of the person whose binary representation you
are about to decode?
- Write down the binary representation you received from that person.
- Express that word or phrase in hexadecimal.
- Write out the word or phrase in English.