What is Computer Science?
What is computer science?
- Better name: computing science
- Study of computation and problem-solving (by humans or by
- the organization and representation of ideas
- the development and
application of practical problem-solving techniques
- the modeling of complex systems
- the use of formal languages to
express ideas succinctly and unambiguously.
- Big questions:
- What are good approaches (algorithms)?
- How can it be done "reproducably" (repeatedly, getting
the same results)?
- How can it be done more quickly, more accurately,
- Are there limits to what can be computed?